We believe working at Evolution should be the highlight of our people’s career and remain
confident we have the right group of people with a strong sense of purpose who are focused on the continued delivery of our strategy.
Building a strong culture
We have continued to build a strong culture based on our values of Safety, Excellence, Accountability and Respect. Our values and supporting behaviours ensure we get the ’how’ right and guide how we work together every day.
To understand how our culture is experienced by our people in real time, we have rolled out a monthly digital survey. This was launched across all sites and is accessible via any mobile device. 87% of our people have ‘had their say’ and initial feedback is very positive, with results below.
Pulse survey feedback (as at 30 Jun 2019 – 575 people)
- Safety – 80%
- Excellence – 73%
- Accountability – 68%
- Respect – 73%
Creating an inclusive and diverse workplace
We believe in growing a rich culture, diverse workforce and a work environment in which every employee is treated fairly, respected and has the opportunity to contribute to business success.
Across our 1,365 people, we continued to develop our approach to diversity and inclusion. In FY19 we increased our female workforce representation to 14.7% and our Indigenous workforce representation to 4.8%. To increase diversity in FY19 we:
- Focused on increasing female participation in our pipeline programs. 50% of our graduates were female (30% target). 39% of vacation students were female (25% target)
- Doubled the number of female mentee opportunities through Women in Mining partners
- Held inaugural Women in Mining forum for female employees to network and receive professional development on career mobility
- In 2019 we became an Endorsed Employer with Work 180 focused on attracting more women into non-traditional roles
In FY20 our focus is working with our Board and Leadership Team to update our Corporate Governance Statement, Diversity Policy and Code of Conduct.
“Flexible work arrangements allow me to start later so that I can drop my son off at before school care. Without this flexibility, I would not be able to perform this role. It’s very important to me that I can attend special school functions that occur during normal work hours such as certificate presentations and sporting events. I make up the time spent offsite at these events. I greatly appreciate this flexibility.”
Marcelle - Geologist
We believe Evolution can play a role in developing future leaders and have implemented a graduate program that is now getting nationwide recognition. The Australian Association of Graduate Employers ranked Evolution 47th in the top 75 graduate employers for 2020. Evolution was the only gold mining company named in this group.
We have run three graduate programs with a bi-annual intake of around 9-12 graduates. The program runs over two years, with a range of rotations which provides broad exposure across many aspects of our business.
Further information on our vacation and graduate programs is available at the tab Careers.
- Performance and development planning – by setting annual performance goals aligned to our annual Balanced Business Plan, tracking progress, and receiving direct feedback at biannual reviews and informally throughout the year, our people are clear on performance and development expectations.
- Bespoke leadership development programs – our three tailored programs GOLD (intensive leadership experience), Silver (frontline leader workshop) and Alloy (leadership application) equipped over 100 of our leaders to drive a high performing team culture.
- Functional technical forums – to share expertise, practice and knowledge to drive operational efficiencies through emerging technologies and applied innovation.
- Mentoring – we matched high performing senior leaders with a Leadership Team member as a mentor which resulted in 33% of participants being internally promoted. We have a dedicated mentoring resource portal where our people can initiate their own mentoring relationships with the support of their Manager.
- Study support – acquiring new skills and knowledge helps our people to perform at their best and delivers better business outcomes. Our employee benefits include financial study assistance and time off to study.