We believe working at Evolution should be the highlight of our people’s career and remain confident we have the right group of people with a strong sense of purpose who are focused on the continued delivery of our strategy.
Building an exceptional company
We are committed to providing an experience for employees that they genuinely describe as ‘a highlight of their career’ in which they:
- Return home healthy and safe every day
- Have an opportunity to grow, develop and contribute their knowledge and skills
- Experience a real sense of ownership for our business
- Feel proud of the contribution that Evolution is making to the community
We offer as many job opportunities as possible to our local communities, while managing the need to source critical skills to ensure the viability of our operations and meet regulatory requirements.
In FY20, we focused on achieving our goal of amplifying our high achieving culture to create a work environment based on trust, empowerment and accountability.
We have continued to build a strong culture based on our values of Safety, Excellence, Accountability and Respect. Our values and supporting behaviours ensure we get the ’how’ right and guide how we work together every day.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workplace
We believe in growing a rich culture, diverse workforce and a work environment in which every employee is treated fairly, respected and able to contribute to the business success.
This work is guided by our Diversity and Inclusion Policy available in our Corporate Governance section.
In a truly diverse business, everyone is an individual, and we recognise how they can bring their very best to
work. Across our 2,099 people, we continued to improve diversity and inclusion through increased participation
for under represented people that may face more barriers than others including Indigenous people, females and our LGBTI+ community. In FY20 female Board representation was increased to 25%, our female workforce representation increased to 17% and our Indigenous workforce representation increased to 7%2.
To increase diversity in FY20 we:
- Built cultural awareness through training and collaboration with our local Indigenous communities
- Focused on increasing female participation in our pipeline programs with 62% of our graduate intake being female (50% target)
- 64% of vacation students were female (50% target)
- Doubled the number of female mentee opportunities through Women in Mining partners
- Held a second Women in Mining forum where 12 female employees from other businesses came to network and receive professional development on career mobility
Our sites offer unique work opportunities and operating challenges, and we are committed to maintaining a flexible and dynamic approach to recruitment within a clear values framework. To better reflect our community, we embrace and celebrate our different cultural backgrounds. We do this by observing and acknowledging various dates and festivities on the cultural calendar throughout the year. We also work with community partners to help solve challenges, with a core focus on reconciliation with Indigenous Australians.
“Flexible work arrangements allow me to start later so that I can drop my son off at before school care. Without this flexibility, I would not be able to perform this role. It’s very important to me that I can attend special school functions that occur during normal work hours such as certificate presentations and sporting events. I make up the time spent offsite at these events. I greatly appreciate this flexibility.”
Marcelle - Geologist
We believe Evolution can play a role in developing future leaders and have implemented a graduate program that is now getting nationwide recognition. The Australian Association of Graduate Employers ranked Evolution 47th in the top 75 graduate employers for 2020. Evolution was the only gold mining company named in this group.
We have run three graduate programs with a bi-annual intake of around 9-12 graduates. The program runs over two years, with a range of rotations which provides broad exposure across many aspects of our business.
Further information on our vacation and graduate programs is available at the tab Careers.
- Performance and development planning – by setting annual performance goals aligned to our annual Balanced Business Plan, tracking progress, and receiving direct feedback at biannual reviews and informally throughout the year, our people are clear on performance and development expectations.
- Bespoke leadership development programs – our three tailored programs GOLD (intensive leadership experience), Silver (frontline leader workshop) and Alloy (leadership application) equipped over 100 of our leaders to drive a high performing team culture.
- Functional technical forums – to share expertise, practice and knowledge to drive operational efficiencies through emerging technologies and applied innovation.
- Mentoring – we matched high performing senior leaders with a Leadership Team member as a mentor which resulted in 33% of participants being internally promoted. We have a dedicated mentoring resource portal where our people can initiate their own mentoring relationships with the support of their Manager.
- Study support – acquiring new skills and knowledge helps our people to perform at their best and delivers better business outcomes. Our employee benefits include financial study assistance and time off to study.